Athletic Therapy Clinic
HC101 - Homburg Centre for Health and Wellness
920 Tower Road
Two Certified Athletic Therapists are employed to provide side-line care and clinical assessment and rehabilitation for the SMU Student Varsity Athletes.
The Scope of Practice of a Certified Athletic Therapist includes the prevention, immediate care, and reconditioning of musculoskeletal injuries. Prevention includes musculoskeletal and postural evaluation, warm-up, conditioning programs, prophylactic or supportive taping, and adapting to the activity environment and facilities. They are members of the Canadian Athletic Therapists Association (www.athletictherapy.org) and the Atlantic Provinces Athletic Therapists’ Association (www.apata.ca).
A Certified Athletic Therapist assesses injuries and conditions, uses contemporary rehabilitative techniques, therapeutic modalities, soft tissue mobilization, physical reconditioning, and supportive strapping procedures to promote an environment conducive to optimal healing in preparing the individual for safe reintegration into an active lifestyle.
The Athletic Therapist, in cooperation with all performance enhancement personnel, and members of the health care delivery team, is an integral part of a total service to maximize the performance and welfare of the individual. Concomitant with the execution of this role, the Athletic Therapist nurtures an attitude of positive health.
The Athletic Therapists are on staff to treat the athletes by appointment only. To book an appointment, please stop by the clinic and speak with one of the AT’s.
Student trainers are assigned to work with each team during the varsity season. They are responsible for helping the athletes’ pre-practice/competition (prophylactic taping, stretching), providing on-field emergency care, and post-practice/competition care of injuries (ice, compression, referring to the AT’s for follow up care).
- Chad Newhook BPE, CAT(C), CSCS. Head Athletic Therapist (BIO LINK)
- Kurt A. Stevenson B.Sc Kin, CAT(C) Assistant Athletic Therapist (BIO LINK)
- ASSOCIATED MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS
- Dr. Gerald P. Reardon MD, FRCS(C), Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Dr. Nathan Urquhart MD, MSc. FRCS(C) Dip Sports Medicine, MBNS, Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Dr. Rosalind Mullins CCFP, Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician
- Dr. Nina Gow, MD Dip. Sports Medicine Physician
- Dr. Michael Salyzyn, B.Sc., B.Sc. (honors cert), D.D.S. Dentist