SMU Huskies

Huskies top Mounties to open their regular season

Huskies top Mounties to open their regular season

Huskies drop Mounties to open their season


The Mount Allison Mounties engineered a dramatic 2nd half comeback on Saturday afternoon but came up just short, losing 27-25 to the Huskies.


Saint Mary's opened the scoring 5 minutes into the game when Brian Hope connected from 20 yards out to give the Huskies a 3-0 lead. Saint Mary's scored again 5 minutes later when quarterback Josh Shim found Liam O'Brien in the end zone from 26 yards out.  Saint Mary's missed on the two-point convert attempt, leaving them with a 9-0 lead. 


Neither team was able to add points until a rouge point from Brian Hope extended the Huskies lead to 10-0 with 5 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter.  Two minutes later O'Brien caught his 2nd touchdown pass, this time from 10 yards out, making the score 17-0.


The Mounties would get on the board before half time, on a scoring drive started by a Nathan Jones kick return to the 45-yard line. From there, the Mounties drove 65 yards on 5 plays before Hunter Sturgeon scored from 1 yard out on a quarterback keeper.  The scoring play was set up by a 32-yard completion to Robbie Walker.


In the third quarter, Saint Mary's opened scoring with a long kickoff return to set up a short field for the offense. From there, O'Brien caught his 3rd touchdown of the day for a 24-7 lead.


The Mounties comeback started when sophomore defensive lineman Vincenzo Frangione picked off a Josh Shim pass, to give the Mounties good field position. This led to a James Parker field goal from 27 yards.  A blocked punt by Mounties special teams led to another James Parker field goal, this time from 11 yards out to run the score to 24-13.


With Mounties gaining momentum, the offense drove 45 yards before Sturgeon punched in his 2nd touchdown of the day, again from 1 yard out. At this point the Mounties trailed 24-20 with 10 minutes remaining. The Mounties defense then forced Saint Mary's to take a safety and the lead was down to 24-22.


The Mounties got the ball back with 8 minutes remaining and drove 45 yards to the SMU 5-yard line before James Parker hit his 3rd field goal of the day, this time from 12 yards to give the Mounties their first lead of the day at 25-24.


With only 3 minutes remaining, Saint Mary's picked up a late field goal to regain the lead with less than a minute remaining.  Mounties kicker James Parker attempted a 50-yard field goal to win the game with a kick that had enough distance but sailed just right to end the game.


Huskies quarterback Josh Shim was 20 for 32 for 218 yards with 3 touchdowns and 1 interception. He also added 61 yards on the ground on 9 carries.


For the Mounties sophomore quarterback Hunter Sturgeon was 5 of 18 for 76 yards. Sturgeon also ran for 111 yards on 12 carries and scored 2 touchdowns for the Mounties.


The Mounties now enter their bye week before travelling to play Bishop's on September 14th.  Saint Mary's will host Bishop's next Saturday, September 7th at 3PM.


Source, Mounties Communications