SMU Huskies

Huskies top Tigers 8-3

Huskies top Tigers 8-3

(Halifax, NS) The Huskies gave their fans a good time during their homecoming game. 


Thomas Stavert (Summerside PE) scored two goals to lead the Huskies to an 8-3 win over the Dalhousie Tigers on Saturday night at the Halifax Forum. 


Saint Mary's opened the scoring quickly. Thirty-five seconds in, Dawson Theede (Brooklin, ON) got the puck alone in the slot. He deked to his backhand and shot the puck over the glove of Dalhousie's goaltender, Connor Hicks (Kanata, ON). Connor McGlynn (Oakville ON) and Bradley Latour (Barrie ON) got the assists. 


Eight minutes later, the Huskies scored again. Anthony Repaci (Toronto, ON) had the puck in the front of the net. He had his back turned to the defender in front of him so he was able to shield the puck. This gave defender Nicholas Welsh (Halifax, NS) enough time to come in from the point. Repaci hit Welsh with a backhand pass and Welsh shot the puck into the top corner of the net.Hunter Garlent (Thorold, ON) got the other assist. 


The Tigers didn't go away. Mike Evelyn (Ottawa ON) and Andrew Shewfelt (Dartmouth, NS) scored to make the game tied 2-2 after the first period. 


Saint Mary's broke the tie eight minutes into the second. Latour came out of the box and immediately caught the puck. He went on a 2-on-1 and shot the puck past Hicks. 


A minute later, the Huskies stretched their lead to 4-2. Stavert's shot from the point found its way into the back of the net. Alexander Peters (Blyth, ON) and Stephen Johnson (Moncton, NB) assisted on the goal. 


With six minutes left in the period, Tiger, Jackson Playfair (Fort St. James BC) shot the puck but it was blocked. The puck bounced to Jonathan Cyr (Ottawa, On) at the side of the net and he shot it in. Jessie Lussier (Petawawa, ON) got the other assist. 


The Huskies' power play was fantastic in the third period. Six minutes in to the period, Garlent scored a power play goal as he ripped a shot from the top of the right face-off circle. Welsh and Theede got the assists. 


Twenty seconds later, Bronson Beaton (Springhill, NS) fired a backhand on goal. The rebound hit off Stavert's body and in to make the game 6-3. 


On a double-minor power play, the Huskies stretched their lead to 8-3. Jake Coughler (St. Catharines, ON) and Dylan Di Perna (Nobleton, ON) both scored from the left point. 



Rookie defenceman Nicholas Welsh's hot start to his university career continues. He scored one goal and added two assists in the game. He leads the AUS in scoring with 2 goals and 8 assists for 10 points in only 5 games. 


Xavier Potvin stopped 27 out of 30 shots. Connor Hicks stopped 37 out of 45 shots. This was Potvin's first AUS career start. 


Saint Mary's were 3/4 on the power play while Dalhousie was 1/5. 


Stavert was named Subway Player of the Game. 


The win gives the Huskies their fifth straight to start the season. Their next game is at home against UPEI on October 19th


Josh Young, SMU Communications

Photo Mike Fines