SMU Huskies

Huskies finish regular season strong with win against Aigles Bleus

Huskies finish regular season strong with win against Aigles Bleus

(Halifax, NS) The Saint Mary's Huskies men's hockey team hosted their final regular season game against the Université de Moncton Aigles Bleus this Saturday at the Halifax Forum. It was a high scoring match for Hockey Day in Canada, with the Huskies coming away with a 7-3 win.


The Aigles-Bleus took the lead seven minutes into this one, after a shot from the point from Danick Edmond (Terrebonne, QC) beat a screened Eric Brassard (St. Hubert, QC) high glove side.


The rest of the period went in Saint Mary's favour, however.


They got their first goal nine minutes in on the power play. Standing at the face off dot to the right of goalie Étienne Montpetit (Valleyfield, QC), Aaron Berisha (Mississauga, ON) ripped a one timer straight into the back of the net. Nicholas Welsh (Halifax, NS) and Hunter Garlent (Thorold, ON) had the assists.


The Huskies got another power play goal with three and a half minutes to go. Welsh sent a well-placed wrist shot through two Aigles-Bleus defenders and past Montpetit for the 2-0 lead. Garlent and Jake Coughler (St. Catharine's, ON) assisted.


They added a third goal just over a minute later, with Thomas Stavert (Summerside, PEI) coming with speed down the left wing and putting the puck top corner. The assists went to Noah Zilbert (Fredericton, NB) and Jacob Friend (Bowmanville, ON).


The period ended with the Huskies up 3-1.


Once again, the Aigles-Bleus were the first to strike in the second period with a goal from Vincent Lanoue (Repentigny, QC), assisted by Olivier Desjardins (Drummondville, QC).


The Huskies quickly replied with another power play goal. This time it was Coughler scoring, with Berisha and Welsh getting the helpers.


On the next shift, Bradley Latour (Barrie, ON) snuck a sharp angle shot past Montpetit. Austyn Hardie (Halifax, NS) and Conor McGlynn (Oakville, ON) assisted.


That would be all the goals of the period, with the Huskies leading 5-2 going into the final frame.


Moncton changed their goalie in the intermission to Alexi Thibeaudeau (Gatineau, QC).


Seven minutes in, the Aigles Bleus narrowed the lead to two. Carl Marois (Montmagny, QC) sent a cross ice pass to Lanoue at the point, who walked in and beat Brassard high for his second goal of the game.


Once more, the Huskies replied with another goal. Waiting in the low slot, Anthony Repaci (Toronto, ON) patiently made a nice move to tuck the puck past Thibaudeau. Coughler and Garlent assisted.


The Saint Mary's power play continued to impress as they got a fourth goal with the man advantage with six and a half minutes to go. It was Berisha's second goal of the game, with assists coming from Welsh and Garlent.


The final score of the game was 7-3.


The Subway Player of the Game, with two goals and an assist, was Aaron Berisha.


The Huskies end the regular season with a record of 19-10-1, and the Aigles Bleus with a record of 14-12-4. Finishing in second place, the Huskies have a first round bye for the playoffs.


Sarah Moore, SMU Communications

Photo Mona Ghiz