SMU holds off UdeM 5-2

SMU holds off UdeM 5-2

(Halifax, NS) In Friday night AUS men's hockey action, the Saint Mary's Huskies battled the Université de Moncton Aigles-Bleus and after a penalty filled battle, the Huskies came away with a 5-2 win.


The Huskies opened the scoring five minutes into the first period with a goal from Stephen Johnson (Moncton, NB). Dawson Theede (Brooklin, ON) and Mitchell Balmas (Sydney, NS) assisted.

The teams traded power play opportunities, but neither were able to convert on the man advantage as the period ended with the Huskies up 1-0.


In the second, Saint Mary's scored three unanswered goals to extend their lead. First was Anthony Repaci (Toronto, ON) who had an open net to shoot at after a nice pass from behind the net from Keith Getson (Bridgewater, NS). Mark Trickett (Baddeck, NS) also earned an assist on the goal.


Midway through the period, Logan DeNoble (Peterborough, ON) chased down a puck dumped into Moncton's zone and drew it off the boards, driving the net. His low backhand shot went five hole on goalie Étienne Montpetit (Valleyfield, QC).


It was Repaci again scoring his second goal of the game on a breakaway in the last couple minutes of the period. Getson and Nicholas Welsh (Halifax, NS) got the helpers.


The second period ended with Saint Mary's up 4-0.


Early in the third period, Moncton scored a pp goal.  Vincent Deslauriers (Blainville, QC) scored and Francis Thibeault (Val d'Amour, NB) got the assist.


It was a physical, hard hitting battle in the third period. With so many penalties, neither team could find significant momentum.


With six players on the ice because of a delayed penalty call on the Aigles-Bleus, the Huskies scored halfway through the final frame. John Mullally (Timberlea, NS) got his first goal on the season as Joel Bishop (St. John's, NL) and Welsh got the assists.


Moncton got on the board again on the power play. This time it was Maxime St-Cyr (St-Didace, QC) getting the goal and the Aigles-Bleus closed the gap, 5-2.


Although they pulled their goalie and had a late power play, Moncton ran out of time to complete the comeback as the Huskies took the game.


The Subway Player of the Game was Huskies captain, Anthony Repaci.


The Huskies host the UNB Reds Saturday to complete the first semester and Moncton travels to Acadia to take on the Axemen.


Sarah Moore, SMU Communications

Photo Nick Pearce